Friday, March 29, 2013

3/18-3/29: Passover, and other stuff

This week's theme: Passover. With a hint of other stuff.


3/18:A Plethora of Power Rangers
My son is Power Rangers obsessed.  Be it Light Force, Mega Force, Dino Thunder, Samurai, or whatever, he loves them all.  These are three of the mega zords in his extensive collection.

3/19:  Oops.
Forgot to take a photo. Sorry about that.

3/20: Indomitable Spirit
This photo was actually taken on Saturday, but I thought about it on Wednesday night at kickboxing class.  I've been at the gym 5 days out of 7 for the past few months.  Now that my shoulder isn't as painful as it used to be, I've recently returned to kickboxing.  Now, I can't punch with my left arm yet; I have to keep it tightly close to my body to avoid further injury.  But at least I can punch with my other arm, and both my legs work just fine.  On the wall of the karate studio where I take kickboxing is a mural with the character qualities of being a black belt.  I realized with my bum arm, these same qualities can apply me, or to anyone. 

My goals? To get back on that mat using both arms, to get back to Zumba, and to get back down to my high school weight. None of these things are going to happen overnight, and it's possible that they may all take months, but in the end, it will so be worth it.

3/21: Getting Ready

During Passover, we eat no leavened bread products. In fact, the only bread product you can really have is matzoh. There are lots of creative things you can do with matzoh and matzoh meal, like make the cookie cereal that you see in the photo.  Anyway, while there were only 3 of us for Passover seder on the first night, I still had plenty of stuff to buy.

By the way, Passover cookie cereal tastes awful. Just say no.

3/22: The Three Amigos

The Small Human's Passover celebration at school was on this day.  The kids' classes each took turns singing in front of the rest of the school.  Afterward, they went back to the classroom for a party.  The kids ate macaroons, matzoh (of course!), hard boiled eggs (which my son adores - who knew?), and plenty of chocolate.  Here is my Small Human posing with two of his best buds.

3/23: Holi St. Purim, Batman!
Every year, my friends put on a party celebrating three holidays at once.  Holi is a festival of color, Purim has costumes and a command for you to get drunk, and St. Patrick's Day, is, well, a day that we're all Irish, and the beer flows.  Since I didn't have a costume, I rocked a Hello Kitty tiara, and wore a lei.  While I kept my drinking to a minimum I had an excellent time.

Photo courtesy of a friend, and party hostess of the event.

3/24: Wedding Party
My stepmom got remarried on Sunday. (Dad passed away 4 years ago.)  She asked my son and the little girl you see in the photo to be in the wedding. They walked down the isle before my stepmom and her husband-to-be did.  It was ridiculously cute. I wish I had better photos than this one.

3/25:  Passover, Part 1


 My son made Miriam's Cup and Elijah's cup in preschool, so we used those on our Seder plate this year.  For the first night, it was just the three of us.  Not wanting to make a huge, lengthy thing out of it, we ready Sammy Spider's First Hagaddah. Very cute, and very short. Plus, lots of pictures for the Small Human to enjoy.

3/26: Passover, Part 2
The next day we went to my brother and SIL's house.  My SIL had the fantastic idea of making individual Seder plates for everyone at the table. It worked out well! Less passing of stuff, more efficient Seder.  The Hagaddahs we read were in comic book format.  More complex than Sammy Spider, but nowhere as lengthy or dry as the old Maxwell House ones.

3/27: The Bounce House

 What to do with an energetic kid on spring break?  Bring him to a place where he can jump up and down for an hour and a half, that's what!  Photos in bounce houses always come out crappy for me, and this one is no different.

In this photo, the Small Human is taking a break from bouncing to put his head up a net.  Whatever makes you happy, child...

3/28: Pansies
While running to the grocery store, I saw flats of beautiful pansies out front. I snapped a photo. There's not much else to discuss about it, really.

3/29: High School Reunion
I haven't seen my friend Anne Ominous in 20 years! She and her kidlets came over for a play date. The younger kidlets and my son played outside, while her oldest kidlet played Fluxx with us. A good time was had by all.


That's all for the last 10 days. See you in a week and a half or two!



No comments:

Post a Comment