My son made a shofar in class. Since real ram's horns are probably not toddler-friendly, they used whistles instead. Even though the thing was stapled to the wall, he kept removing the whistle so he could blow on it and make lots of noise in the hallway.
Day 271: Challah Failure
Being Erev Rosh Hashana (Jewish New Year's Eve), I thought it'd be nice to make a nice dinner. I made baked chicken with kasha varniskas (bowtie pasta with buckwheat) and honey-glazed candied carrots. For dessert, I made a honey apple cake. I thought home made challah bread would be a nice touch, too. Well, I added an extra egg to my recipe and threw it all in the bread machine. Extra moisture = too sticky a dough. When I took it out, it was a gooey mess. After adding another cup of flour, the dough was workable. Crisis averted! I braided the dough and rolled it into a nice, round shape. Then I covered it with damp paper towels, and let it rise for an hour.
Well, the bread looked beautiful! I was so happy with how it all turned out. And then I discovered that the paper towels stuck to the loaf. Despite spraying the towels with oil, they stuck to the dough. As I removed them, my loaf deflated! I was left with a round loaf that resembled a large fecal pile, instead of a nice braid. Darn!
On a positive note, despite being an unattractive loaf of bread, it sure was tasty!
Day 272: Mum's the Word
I don't think of mums as annuals. They're perennials you plant in the fall. These guys are in my front yard. A beautiful sunny day and the Polaroid setting on my Retro Cam app makes for a pretty photo!
Day 273: Beast in a Box
The Spotted Beast has many roles at work. Here you see him as chief box inspector. He was simultaneously helping our volunteer restock pill bottles, by sitting on them and keeping them warm.
Coming up this weekend: Work, then a baby shower for my SIL, and then my newphews' christening. Busy busy!




No comments:
Post a Comment