Day 92: Spring Garden
| Coming soon: Peas, carrots, spinach, lettuce, and blueberries! |
I planted sugar snaps, snow peas, carrots, spinach, and mesculin mix. My rosemary bush is trying to take over the world again. This year, I actually pruned the thing back. Thyme, chives, parsley, oregano, and strawberries are coming back for encore performances, too.
While I really want to try starting seeds indoors again, I'm hesitant to do so. My cats ate all my seedlings last year!
Earlier in the day, the Small Human attempted a nap while buried under a large pile of toys and a basket. He was unsuccessful.
| I swear, he really does have blankets with which to nap.And he has a bed, too. |
Day 93: Home Improvement
| Attic floor in the making |
Day 94: Taking Time to Smell the Flowers
Yesterday was a wonderful day. The photo has little to do with what made it so wonderful.
The day started out normal enough. I dropped the Small Human off at school and went to the gym. We went to the bagel shop for lunch and met with friends. Although I wanted to go work on the garden, I did the grownup thing and went grocery shopping. The Small Human had fun flirting with all the grownups in the store.
What made yesterday awesome was after we came home and put the groceries away. The Small Human and I had a great time playing pretend in the backyard. The swingset became a rocket ship. We climbed the rock wall, then blasted off to the moon, then the boy drove us home using the steering wheel in the playhouse. We slid down the slide to Planet Earth, then climbed up the ladder back to the rocket ship after a brief game of tag. Lather, rinse, repeat. At one point the Small Human decided it was my birthday. So we played Birthday Party. He handed me an imaginary birthday crown, and fed me imaginary cake and gave me Woody, Buzz, and the rest of the imaginary Roundup Gang for presents
Later, I watched him play in the sandbox. Then we watered the plants. As we took a walk around the yard, I showed him how good the hyacinths smell.
| Hyacinths smell so pretty! |
OK, so maybe the photo does fit. Yesterday, we took the time to smell the flowers. No, I didn't vacuum the house, or change the sheets, or clean the bathrooms, or even plant the blueberry bushes yesterday. But we made some pretty awesome memories. Yesterday, playing Space Ship and Birthday Party was a gazillion times more important than any of the chores that needed to get done.
Day 94: Goose Nest
Today was a rainy, miserable day outside. It made me even more glad that we spent time playing in the backyard yesterday. This morning, the Small Human and I went to the gym. Barely six feet from the parking lot I saw this:
![]() |
| A stone's throw away from a parking lot is probably not the best place to build a nest. |
I lifted the Small Human up so he could see it, and off to our respective classes we went. On the way back to the car, Mama Goose was back at her post. She was none too pleased that I was there, but at least she didn't try to attack us. She did, however, give us the stink eye.
![]() |
| ...And what are YOU looking at, lady! |


No comments:
Post a Comment