Sunday, January 16, 2011

Day 15: Quiet Mourning


One of my friends committed suicide last week.  We weren't that close, but we kept in touch from when I rode on the first aid squad.  For about a year, I rode on Wednesday nights. I stopped riding when I got pregnant with the Small Human.

My friend's funeral was today, 1/16.  My dad's death was on 1/17/09, and today I spent with my family, commemorating Dad's death.  I've been torn, trying to figure out where I should be.  In the end, I chose to be with my family. Hopefully, that was the right thing to do.

I can not understand why he took his own life.  A long time ago, someone told me that if at least one person would be affected by your death, if just one person cares about you, then your life is too precious to waste by killing yourself, and you shouldn't do it.  I wish someone had told my friend this, and if they did, that it stuck.  If you look at his Facebook page, there are many, many people offering their condolences to his partner and family, and recounting memories of him, how he was a good friend to them, or how he liked to help others, or how he liked to brew beer or grow a garden.  So many people have been affected by this senseless act of violence.  I just wish he had known before he made that final decision that his life indeed was worthy of living, and that many people cared about him.

Rest in peace, my friend.  I am glad to have known you, even if it wasn't for all that long, and even if we weren't all that close.  You made the world a better place while you were here.  I hope you have finally found refuge from the demons that have haunted you.

No comments:

Post a Comment